Organize Series Installation
The Organize Series plugin helps with the organization and presentation of articles/posts you write as part of a series. It helps make it easier for readers of your blog to discover all the series you've written and also to easily find post that are part of the same series.
Organize Series actually adds a new taxonomy to the WordPress taxonomy structure so your blog would have "categories", "tags", and "series" as the taxonomy types.
The following instructions are for fresh installs of Organize Series (i.e. you are not upgrading):
- MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR WORDPRESS DATABASE (that's all in caps for a reason - nothing should go wrong but it's a good precaution nevertheless!!)
- Download the File (or use the built-in updater provided by WordPress)
- Extract to a folder in
. The orgSeries folder can be named whatever you want but the default is "organize-series". The final structure would be something like this:1../wp-content/plugins/organize-series/--and all the orgSeries plugin files/folders--
This step is not required if you use the built-in WordPress plugin installer.
- Activate orgSeries on your WordPress plugins page.
- That's It!
You might want to read through the Series Options page and the Manage->Series Page. You'll also notice that your "write/edit" posts page now has a handy dandy series box on it for adding your posts to a series (and creating new series on the fly).
- I would suggest that you make note of all your customizations on the options page in case the options get reset (they shouldn't but to be safe...). What I usually do is open the options page and then leave that window/tab open on its own while completing the upgrade. After doing the upgrade I open the options page in a different window/tab and compare the two. If they are different it's easy to copy between the two.
- NOTE: Beginning with version 2.2 of OrgSeries, Organize Series Publisher is unbundled from the main plugin and WILL be DELETED if you use the built-in WordPress plugin tool for uploading and unpacking plugins. The Publisher settings will still be in the database but you will want to make sure that you install the new Organize Series Publisher Addon.
- Make sure you visit the Series Options page and update the options to regen the permalinks.
- Organize Series 2.2 is a major update from earlier versions and there are some changes that you should be aware of. Make sure you visit the changelog to see the changes and how that affects your usage of Organize Series.
ALSO - I STRONGLY recommend!!...
- ...that you take note of any changes you may have made on the series options page for customizing the layout/look of Organize Series before upgrading. I try to do my best to make sure any changes get imported successfully with updates but sometimes things happen unexpectently and the options may get reset (which can understandably be frustration - believe me, it's happened to me a couple of times over the years!). What I usually do is open a tab with the options and then conduct the upgrade from another tab. That way if something DOES go awry, I can just copy paste from the inputs I left open in the previous tab. Again, I test throughly before releasing an update but I simply cannot account for every possible hosting environment out there so resets can and sometimes do happen.