Back in July I announced some big changes with Organize Series and its extensions due to me being hired by Automattic. This included making all existing extensions free. To support the change, I just made a few quick edits to the backend to remove the paywall and provide links to all extensions on Github. However, this meant keeping all the plugins and theme customizations I had done in v3 of the website which included paid subscriptions for some things which I no longer get paid income from Organize Series to support. So I needed to switch away from all those things to a new theme.
Since I’ve been working quite a bit with Gutenberg lately, I decided for v4 of the website to see how far I could push building the site with Gutenberg blocks, some (free) Blocks plugins and the new Twenty Twenty theme. The result is what you see now!
It actually went a lot easier than I thought it would and this initial iteration took me about 5-6 hours to get up. I did end up doing a child theme of twenty-twenty with some slight customizations and styling, but on the whole pretty much all the layout of key pages (home page, features, and extensions) is done with Gutenberg.
Anyways, going forward this will help keep the costs of maintaining Organize Series much lower (shaving off about $700 a year). I still have to remove my dependency on Help Scout (I’m going to move all the docs back onto this website over time).