Categories
Announcements News

Updates… (the “whatcha still doing there PHP4?” update)

I just released updates for the following Organize Series plugins:

  • Organize Series Core
  • Organize Series Multiples
  • Organize Series Shortcodes

For all the above plugins the primary reason for the update is changing the usage of PHP4 type constructors to PHP5 type constructors.  For most users of Organize Series this means nothing.  But for  those of you rocking PHP7, well this ensures Organize Series will work okay.

Also WordPress 4.3 is adding deprecated notices for any usages of PHP4 constructors it detects (when WP_DEBUG is turned on),  so this ensures OS doesn’t trigger these warnings.

Organize Series core also fixes a lingering css file that wasn’t enqueued properly.

Sorry, no real goodies and/or bug-fixes with this release folks.

Categories
Announcements News

Organize Series Grouping 2.2.3

Just released an update to the Organize Series Grouping add-on.  This release fixes the following bugs:

  • Fix assigned groups on a series not being checked when quick-editing a series on the manage series page.
  • Replace incorrect usage of query_posts() for get_posts().
  • Ensure get_groups_in_series( $series_id ) function works as advertised.  It now returns the wp_term objects for series group corresponding to the given series_id.
  • Fix incorrect type-casting.
Categories
Announcements News

OrganizeSeries.com is on a new host

Organize Series was down for nearly 12 hours because Hostgator shut us down and I was not able to work with them to get it back up.  So I moved this website to a new host (for the whole story you can read the backstory section at the end of the post).

I just wanted to throw this post up in case any customers visiting Organize Series have difficulties accessing your products, logging in, or accessing any parts of the site – let me know (tweet @organizeseries or fill out the contact form) and I’ll try to get it fixed asap.

Important news for translators.

Translations for the organize series family of plugins now lives at translate.organizeseries.com instead of orgseries-organizeseries.com/glotpress.

 

The Backstory:

Overnight last night Hostgator shut down the server OrganizeSeries was hosted on because of excessive load on the server due to some activity running related to serving auto-updates for our plugins.  Let me begin by saying I completely understand the necessity for a web hosting provider to limit or turn off a site that is causing problems on a server shared they have other customers on.  I get that.  What I do not find acceptable is that I was completely willing to work with them to figure out what exactly on OrganizeSeries.com was causing the load and to rectify that so I could get the site back up and yet I was getting very little action from Hostgator to do so.  It took 6 hours (after tweeting numerous times on twitter) to get any response to my posts on the ticket they had opened, and when I did get a response not only did they NOT answer the questions I had already posted on the ticket, but the response they gave did not help at all directing me to how I could resolve this.

Frankly this was the final straw for me, I’ve struggled with Hostgator support in the past and I decided I’m just going to move OrganizeSeries.com off their server and over the course of the next month I’ll be moving ALL my remaining web properties (that are still on their server) away from them.  I’d been avoiding this for a while because of the pain in migrating all my sites, but enough, was enough.